It seems more people are traveling and posting their luxurious travels on Instagram and Facebook. But how do they really afford it? We have the inside tips on how to have a luxurious vacation on a shoestring budget. Because if you are like us, you enjoy the finer things in life, but really don’t want to break the bank. So here are our tips!
- Rent a home. This might sound crazy, but we promise it isn’t- especially if you are traveling with family. It is often far cheaper to rent a home than it is to rent two or more hotel rooms- even at discount hotels. Plus- then you get the benefits of all the extra space, extra amenities, and privacy you deserve. And posting a photo in your private hot tub is much more luxurious than posting a photo in a community hot tub, don’t you think?
- Cook at the home you rented. This is another reason to rent a home. When you rent a home, you often get a full kitchen. We’ve found eating out can be one of the most expensive parts of a vacation. We recommend saving your money and cooking at your home. Then you not only have extra money to spend on activities, but you can also share photos of you grilling out as a family on your private back deck and eating under the stars. I mean, does it get any better?
- Plan activities you can do at the home. Many vacation rentals offer amenities on property- from frisbee golf and scavenger hunts to a pool and a fire pit. We love the idea of spending the day hiking and reading, then spending the evening making s’mores outside at your own private log cabin.
- Find a couple splurge worthy items. Discuss what items you really want to fit into your trip and plan accordingly- whether it be see a show, go to a fancy restaurant, zipline through the treetops or wine tasting.
- Ask your host. Often times your host will have the inside scoop to local discounts! Don’t be afraid to ask!