When you’re planning a vacation, booking a nightly rental can be a great way to save money and have a more authentic experience. If you’re still debating between a hotel room and vacation rental, here are the pros and cons here. However, before you book, there are a few things you should consider to ensure that you have a pleasant and stress-free stay. Here are 10 things you need to know before booking a nightly rental:
- Cleaning and maintenance: Ask the host or property manager about the cleaning and maintenance schedule for the rental. Confirm if there is a professional cleaning service or if one person handles everything. It’s important to note if the linens are brought to a professional laundry facility or if the linens are brought to the owner or cleaners personal home. You may also want to ask if they hire a cleaning team to perform deep cleans regularly. Often, it is during these deep cleans that furniture is updated, replaced or repaired as needed. Companies that don’t use professional cleaners often have furniture that needs replacing.
- Owner or Property Manager: At first thought, some might think it’s better to rent from an owner. However, many times owners are a 1 man team. Meaning, you have one contact available and if you can’t reach them you’re stuck. If you rent from a Property Manager they usually have a full team ready to help and serve you around the clock. Property Managers also have professional cleaners, whereas an owner managed property may simply be cleaned by the owner.
- Location: Make sure you know where the rental is located and if it’s close to the places you want to visit. Look at the map and check if it’s in a safe and quiet neighborhood or if there are any nearby attractions or restaurants.
- Amenities: Check the amenities that are included in the rental, such as Wi-Fi, laundry in unit, game tables, pool, hot tub, etc. Make sure they meet your needs and expectations.
- Reviews: Read the reviews from previous guests to get an idea of their experience and any issues they encountered. Look for reviews that mention the cleanliness, responsiveness of the host, and accuracy of the listing.
- Check-in and check-out: Confirm the check-in and check-out times with the host or property manager to ensure they fit your travel plans. Ask if there is any flexibility or if you can store your luggage before or after your stay.
- House rules: Read the house rules carefully to ensure you understand what’s expected of you during your stay. Look for rules around noise levels, smoking, pets, and any restrictions on guests or parties.
- Security: Confirm what security measures are in place, such as locks, alarms, or surveillance cameras. Some homes now have keyless entries and codes that change with each reservation.
- Communication: Make sure you have a way to contact the host or property manager in case of any issues or emergencies. Ask for their phone number or email address and confirm their availability during your stay.
- Price: Confirm the total price of the rental, including any cleaning fees, taxes, and security deposits. Look for any hidden fees or charges that may not be disclosed in the listing.
By considering these 10 things before booking a nightly rental, you can ensure that you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and clarify any concerns before you book. Happy travels!